Saturday, April 17, 2010

INTERIM SITREP

Regarding yesterday's post THIS IS HOW THEY BUY YOU - several readers brought to my attention some discrepancies. The photo below, for example:


A close inspection reveals the distinctive British policeman's helmet, so what exactly is going on in that photograph I do not know. All I will say is it was included with the original article, sent to me be a member of Team STORMBRINGER. I post once a day (in this case it was done in a hurry at about zero-dark-thirty in the morning) and I was unable to do anything about it until this time.

There was some noise amongst the comments that the German's marched in prior to the Anschluss and the voting took place literally at the point of a gun. I do not remember it this way, from my history books. I'll look it up for future, because what happened in Austria is in many ways more chilling than how the Nazis came to power in Germany. The photo has been removed; Kitty Werthmann's story will remain.


Next item:

While we're on the subject of comments - this is to the toolkit Dave in comments who drew a solid line of logic from my calling out Lieutenant Colonel Terrance Lakin as an idiot and a fool for refusing to obey the orders of the officers lawfully appointed over him as to somehow being equal to an endorsement of the infamous Nuremberg Defense (i.e. "I was just following orders").




Lt Col Terrance Lakin - Bona Fide Wing Nut.


Sir - OK so you might have served in the military but if you're right then the hundreds of thousands of military men & women serving honorably overseas and in this country are wrong - and that group includes some pretty serious operators with better credentials than you and me combined. Like my buddy Jimmy Sargent once said, "The whole damn French Army can't be wrong!"

I am not the only guy who called out Lakin as a loon - here's what my buddy Uncle Jimbo has to say about it over at Blackfive - So now what? Are we all Nazis? Sure I've been lied to by the Army - that's not the same thing as following illegal orders, not by a long shot. As for your uptight demand for an apology:

I am STORMBRINGER! I apologize for nothing!

In fact, I don't put myself in positions requiring me to apologize for anything; so where the HELL do you get off demanding a DAMN THING? Get your own blog and publish your stoopid birther B.S. there.

I'm a Tea Partier but that does not mean I embrace any and every Obama conspiracy theory that's out there, and I sure as Hell ain't a Nazi. I HATE NAZIS. I encountered the offspring of the Third Reich in Mostar, in the Croatian part of Bosnia-Herzegovina, and the very thought of those Lugerhead-wannabes makes my skin crawl. One of the last things I did on active duty was throw a Nazi out of Special Forces and out of the Army. To call me a Nazi because I repeat the time-honored NCO wisdom of 'never attract attention to yourself' is a wild stretch and reveals a tenuous grasp on reality on YOUR part, Dave.






First They Came

The origins of this poem first have been traced to a speech given by Niemöller on January 6, 1946, to the representatives of the Confessing Church in Frankfurt


First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.



.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being Stormbringer and never apologizing. You are wrong about me and you are wrong about the principle that Lt Colonel Lakin is exercising. This isn't about birther BS it is about legitimate legal obligations of US military officers.

    You are correct that others in our military are wrong. They failed to pay attention in their Law For Commanders class or they never had the opportunity to attend that class.

    Officers are not required to "follow orders of those lawfully appointed over him." To the contrary officers are obligated to make Constitutional determinations on any order that they individually determine to be illegal or unconstitutional. Most officers will not do this but instead will just blend in and hope for the best. Like it or not the bottom line is that Lt Colonel Lakin is doing what he is obligated to do.

    Questioning or refusing an order can lead to courts martial. Unfortunately truth is not a trump card in military tribunals. Truth does not matter in courts martial. That little known fact is in the UCMJ Manual For Courts Martial. It was taught in Law For Commanders.

    Could Lt Colonel Lakin handle this matter in a better manner? Yes. Could Army Senior Staff handle this matter in a better manner? Yes. Should Army Senior Staff handle this matter differently? Yes.

    Blending in is a dangerous process. Germans joined the Nazi party to blend in. If they didn't blend in they faced severe punishment. I have the opportunity to observe today's armed forces in world-wide locations. Are we better than anyone else in the world. Yes. Do we have problems? Yes and one of those problems is blending in when illegal or improper orders are issued. You were fortunate to not have illegal orders given to you. I was not so fortunate. I spoke with the individual responsible for consolidating ethical and legal training to newly graduated Air Force Academy lieutenants. That colonel was appalled at the frequency and magnitude of illegal orders issued in Iraq and Afghanistan. He receives steady communications from the men he had previously taught and who were now deployed in the forward areas. These problems must be met straight on.

    If you can't apologize for anything than you fail basic leadership. The thought that leaders don't apologize is a relatively new thought in the US military and it has accelerated since Vietnam. In American military history commanders and troops used to apologize after a foul up. It went both ways and was a cornerstone of the superb leadership exhibited in American NCOs and junior officers. In the old European and Asian armies leaders did not apologize because it was beneath their dignity. The American military was different.

    I write to explain the principle that Lt Colonel Lakin is following because it must be understood. As a note when you resort to name calling you have already lost your battle. There is no maybe about my service and I did not demand an apology. I said one was due and one is still due.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete