Saturday, May 1, 2010

SHOOT LIKE AN EXPERT



The following is the start of a series of posts to commemorate the upcoming Centennial of the Grandaddy of the modern semi-automatic pistol - the Venerable M1911 - I carry one and so should every law-abiding citizen - it is THE definitive sidearm of the American Fighting Man . . . Sean Linnane

GI Expert: Shoot Like an Expert






The latest incarnation of John Moses Browning's gift to Western Civilization is from Para USA, based out of Pineville NC, near Charlotte and about an hour away from my house - S.L.





GI Expert Specifications:

Model Name: GI Expert™
Caliber: .45 ACP
Barrel: 5 inches, stainless steel
Twist: 1 in 16 inches, left-hand
Action: Single-action, Semi-automatic
Sights: Dovetail Fixed, 3-White Dot
Receiver: Carbon Steel
Trigger: Medium length
Hammer: Skeletonized Spur
Magazine: 8-round with removable base pad
Overall Length: 8.5 inches
Height: 5.75 inches
Weight: 39 ounces
Finish: Covert Black Para Kote™
Stocks: Checkered Polymer
Safeties: Slide Lock, Internal Firing Block, Grip
Additional Features: Lowered and flared ejection port, beveled magazine well, flat mainspring housing, grip safety contoured for spur hammer
Product Code: GI45





Read this excellent review by Harwood Loomis, editor of M1911.org . . .


.

8 comments:

  1. Thats one nice looking 1911 all that i would need would be an anbi safety and i would be set, but we are not allowed pistols any more in the UK wish i could aford to move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes..I want one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Tanfoglio Custom 1911 (with the ambidexterous safety ;-)

    But we ain't allowed to carry them here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Oswald at least you have still got pistols unlike us in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its billed as an "entry level" 1911. What would be an example of a non-entry level 1911?

    To my mind, the Ruger 22/45 would be an entry level 1911.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a Colt once. I had always wanted a 1911, but when my uncle saw it he laughed at me. He said don't bother reloading, just throw it at enemy. "Your last round might just hit something."

    Then when I shot it I knew why he was busting my stones. It was all over the place. Box after box. after a while I switched to a 220. Better fit for me and mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RTLM -- The Ruger 22/45 has no relationship whatsoever to the 1911. Different caliber (.22LR rimfire versus .45 ACP centerfire), different operating system (unlocked blowback versus a breech locked short recoil system via swinging link), absolutely no parts interchange. The only things the 22/45 has in common with the 1911 are the grip angle and the position of the magazine release.

    Toaster -- I learned to shoot pistol on a former USGI 1911 (taught by an old retired Gunnery Sergeant on the WWII-dated gun he "combat lossed" from Vietnam), that rattled like a castanet. Learned to keep the rounds on a pie tin at 50 yards. I was 12. When I was on the brigade pistol team, we didn't have spcial target .45s -- we just used the best dozen guns out of the arms rooms. We DID swap around parts to get a tighter fit on loose guns -- but we used standard USGI service pistol parts. I've never seen a civilian 1911 (including the cheap, rough Chinese slave labor Norincos imported in the early 1990s, and the Godforsaken Colt Series 80 guns -- BTW, my carry piece is a Series 80 with an OTS shim set inserted to replace the firing pin lock) that weren't reasonably accurate. Sure the Sig P220 is really accurate, but so is an equivalent priced 1911.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I will put you on my bloglines.
    Luxembourg hotels

    ReplyDelete